Rolawn’s continued support of the 2018 show season paid dividends for many of the show gardens at this year’s RHS Hampton Court Flower Show, with six of its supported gardens scooping medals. With challenging conditions due to the continued dry weather, one of the benefactors of Rolawn supplying topsoil and Medallion turf was Southend Borough Council’s ‘A Place to Think’ garden, which earned a Silver.
The garden, designed by Professional Gardeners’ Guild trainee, James Callicott, and Tony Wagstaff of the Early Help, Family Support and Youth Offending Service team, was designed to offer a relaxed environment which enables students to focus and study for exams, whilst providing a safe and enclosed area. The combination of warm pinks, shades of purple and cool blues created a calming atmosphere across the garden.
The young people involved from the Youth Offending Service completed this work as part of their community reparation, under the guidance of Tony Wagstaff. While showing drive and passion in delivering the project, they were also able to work towards a City and Guild Level One in practical Horticulture skills.
People living with dementia also assisted in the building of the garden, carrying out odd jobs and handywork such as painting and varnishing – bringing the community together to create a beautifully peaceful garden.
“Seeing how our support can affect and help change lives is thrilling. The young people working on this garden have worked together with their community to create a tranquil and stimulating environment for everyone.” Rolawn Sales and Marketing Director, Jonathan Hill said.
Rolawn’s support at this year’s RHS Hampton Court helped the following six gardens take home medals:
- Best of Both Worlds – GoLandscape – Gold
- The Entertaining Garden – Anca Panait / G K Wilson Landscape Service – Silver
- Southend Young Offenders ‘A Place to Think’ Southend Youth Offending Team – Silver
- Brilliance in Bloom – Charlie Bloom and Nickie Bonn – Silver
- Great Gardens of the USA: The Charleston and South Carolina Garden – Sadie May Studios – Silver Gilt
- Great Gardens of the USA: The Oregon Gardens – Sadie May Studios – Bronze